Patentable inventions may consist of: • new products; • new processes or methods for manufacturing new or existing products; • new uses of existing products; These inventions can be protected in Italy with two types of patents: • patent • utility model A patent is the most widespread form of protection for an invention, [...]
A patent is a legal right that gives the owner an exclusive right to exploit an invention, in a specific territory, and for a specific period (20 years). Being an exclusive right, it allows the patent holder to prevent others from producing, selling, or using the patented invention without the authorization; this authorization is [...]
In the 1970s, the value of companies was strongly related to tangible assets (e.g. production plants, machinery, factories, etc.) which represented more than 80% of corporate value, while intangible assets only accounted for the remaining 20%. Today that ratio has been reversed. A company’s intangible assets, such as trademarks, patents, copyright, employee know-how and [...]
Intellectual Property is a set of legal rights that protect the creations of the mind such as inventions, literary and artistic works, names, images and designs. Intellectual property is divided into two categories: Industrial Property: includes inventions (patents), utility models, trademarks, designs and industrial models (designs); Copyright: includes literary and artistic creations, and software. [...]
What is an invention?